If you’re trying to get WordPress working on a Zeus Web server, and you’ve gotten as far as using a good rewrite script to make permalinks work properly, you might have noticed that query strings don’t work at the ends of your permalinks. At first, it seemed like this wouldn’t be too big of an issue; it just meant that users wouldn’t be able to preview posts/pages, and there would be one or two other issues they’d have to live with. However, after using the site that way for a little while, we started coming across more and more issues that this caused, and it finally reached a tipping point.
To solve the issue, I wrote a simple function that runs any time a 404 error occurs on the site. Essentially, it parses the path of the requested page, cuts off the query string temporarily, and then searches the database for a post or page that has the slug at the end of the path.
You may be wondering why I didn’t just parse the request/get variables sent with the page. The problem is, those were empty in each of the cases I tested.