An Interesting Tidbit About W3C’s Validators

I found out something interesting about the W3C validator services yesterday while working on some code. I wanted to find a way to dynamically validate my pages, so that I didn’t put a validity notice on the page if it wasn’t valid.

While validating one of my pages, I decided to check the response headers returned by the W3C validator engine, just on a whim, to see if there was anything in there that might tell me whether or not my page was valid.

What do you know? Not only is it spelled out in very plain English, the header also tells you how many errors and warnings were returned by the engine if the page wasn’t valid.

Strange Problem with XML and VBScript

In one of my recent posts, I brought up the subject of using XML files as opposed to databases. When we released the referenced application to the public and began using it, I encountered a strange problem that took me the better part of the morning to solve.

After the first new news release was posted, which included an amazing amount of text and HTML code (the meat of the news release was two extremely long lists – broken into four-column tables – of award recipients). Once the release was posted, the script that accessed the XML files began timing out every time I tried to access the page. Of course, because the news release was posted almost immediately after making the page live, I had no idea what was actually causing the timeouts.